Thursday, July 27, 2006

Boring, maybe. Bored, no.

At last some good news about being a teacher. It seems that we are less likely, at least in the UK, to be bored with our jobs. I remember when I finished university and started thinking about what I wanted to do with my life as I went for various interviews with large companies. After each one I felt a sense of dread that this would be my life for the next 40 years, toiling away in some drab, beige office, shuffling bits of paper from one place to another. (I saw The Office last Christmas and shuddered at the memory of working in places like this during summer holidays and immediately after college).

Eventually, I realised that I was far better off teaching, even if the pay is lousy. At least I get to think for myself, create new ideas and use my brain for something other than figuring out ways not to work. If I do get bored then the only person to blame is me, since I have the means to do something else in the classroom, to try something different.


Teaching 'the least boring job'


pupils and teacher
Most teachers said 'no two days were the same'
Graduates who choose a career in teaching are least likely to be bored in their job, a survey suggests.

The Training and Development Agency for Schools questioned more than 2,000 graduates aged 21 to 45, finding more than half were regularly bored at work.

Those in administrative and manufacturing jobs were the most frustrated, followed by marketing and sales employees.

Teachers and healthcare workers were the least bored.



See here for the rest of the story

No comments: