Friday, July 07, 2006

Bringing it all back



While shuffling through some of the music I got back home I came across America by Simon and Garfunkel( see here for the lyrics) on my ipod and suddenly, I'm on the hard shoulder of a motorway slip road thumb out, waiting to get a lift to god knows where.

The song was one of a compilation (along with Jimi Hendrix, The Smiths and The Velvet underground - deeply uncool I know but it was the 80's so I wasn't the only one) I had made, just for the hitchhiking "adventure" I had decided to embark upon during my first summer break as a university student. I didn't have any money so I decided to hitch around the UK visiting various friends I had made during my first year at college.

I guess waiting for a lift just outside Birminghman doesn't quite have the same romantic ring to it that Simon and Garfunkel's New Jersey turnpike has and Liverpool isn't Pittsburg. Got to see a lot of Britain though and talk with people I never would have met otherwise and have a lot of coversations that you don't usually have, at least not with complete strangers.

No comments: