Saturday, April 28, 2007

Walking off the internet


And into real life. About a week or so ago I got a phone call via Skype from Mario, a teacher/journalist based in Northern Italy. As he was travelling here to Thessaloniki to cover a theatrical award he wanted to ask me a few questions about the city. I was more than happy to oblige and later after a flurry of emails we got to meet up for coffee on the sea front and chat about Milan, teaching, eating out, theatre, politics and and the like.

It was great to see how the internet, which is supposedly cutting us all off from "real" human contact can, in fact do exactly the opposite.

2 comments:

helensotiriadis said...

i had a similar experience.. as i was getting ready to relocate to china for quite a long time, i found a fellow blogger in beijing who was able to answer many of my questions.. and we met up after i arrived for a nice chat, a visit to tiananmen square and a new friendship.

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

I had a similar experience, too. I came home one day and I found a certain someone in my living room talking with my husband!!! You know who!!